Home Cat 3 Million Cats’ Homeowners Face £500 Positive: New Legislation Requires Microchipping for All Cats in England

3 Million Cats’ Homeowners Face £500 Positive: New Legislation Requires Microchipping for All Cats in England

3 Million Cats’ Homeowners Face £500 Positive: New Legislation Requires Microchipping for All Cats in England


3 million cats’ homeowners face £500 tremendous

With an estimated 11 million pet cats presently dwelling within the UK, it’s secure to say we’re a nation of cat lovers. As of 10 June 2024, it is going to grow to be legislation for all cat homeowners in England to have their feline pal microchipped, leaving hundreds of thousands up and down the nation simply 12 months to abide by the brand new legislation.

At current, 75% of cats throughout the UK are microchipped, leaving 25% of the inhabitants, practically 3 million cats with out a microchip.

By 10 June 2024, homeowners discovered with out their cat microchipped may have simply 21 days to have one implanted. After the 21 days, homeowners might then face a tremendous of as much as £500.

The 2023 PDSA Animal Wellbeing (PAW) Report revealed that 67% of cat homeowners are unaware that the brand new laws will imply that each one cats in England have to be microchipped.

PDSA Vet, Lynne James stated: “Microchipping is a one off value, which offers a lifetime of safety for pet homeowners. We strongly advocate all cats are microchipped earlier than they begin going exterior. Even when your cat prefers the indoor life, microchipping offers an additional security internet, ought to they handle to flee and grow to be misplaced.”

Lynne shares her recommendation for essentially the most steadily requested questions on microchipping:

Why microchip your cat?

Microchipping ensures any misplaced or stolen cats have one of the best likelihood of being reunited with their homeowners as shortly as potential. Microchips are implanted underneath your cat’s pores and skin between the shoulder blades – it a really fast process that takes just some seconds. The most effective half, a single microchip ought to final to your cat’s lifetime, so there’s no want to consider it once more as soon as it’s finished.

Learn how to get your cat microchipped?

Microchips might be implanted by vets, vet nurses and individuals who have been specifically skilled. Many vets may have appointments accessible to get your cat microchipped, but it surely’s essential to plan forward and e book an appointment nicely prematurely of June subsequent yr, as there could also be a ready record, or restricted appointments.

When to get your cat microchipped?

While there isn’t any minimal age to have your cat microchipped, you will need to get it finished earlier than your cat goes exterior for the primary time. Youthful cats are sometimes microchipped similtaneously neutering, however for older pets, the process can often be finished in an appointment. The brand new laws states that cats have to be microchipped by 20 weeks of age.

Will microchipping damage my cat?

Like every injection, microchipping may cause a tiny quantity of discomfort however fortuitously it’s a very fast process that simply takes a number of seconds. Most pets barely discover it and they are often simply distracted with a deal with after the process.

What’s the price of microchipping a cat?

Prices do fluctuate, however microchipping is often round £10-£30 per pet. Some veterinary clinics and charities corresponding to Cats Safety supply discounted microchipping schemes alongside neutering. It’s greatest to analysis what is offered in your space to seek out the most suitable choice for you and your pet.

Do I must microchip my indoor cat?

The laws will apply to all pet cats in England. Even when your cat stays indoors, it’s a good suggestion to verify they’ve a microchip, in case they ever handle to sneak out and get misplaced. It’s all too straightforward for a window or door to be by chance left open, particularly in the summertime, and a microchip will assist to make sure you might be reunited.

Lynne added: “It’s actually essential that homeowners are conscious of which database their pet’s microchip is registered to so they can maintain their particulars updated. Transferring deal with or getting a brand new telephone quantity are easy, however very important adjustments for the microchip database, ought to your cat grow to be misplaced or stolen.

“In our newest PAW Report, 60% of veterinary professionals informed us that they’d skilled homeowners’ particulars not being updated on microchip databases, which may make the distinction between an proprietor being reunited with their pet or very sadly, not.” 

In case your pet is already microchipped, you’ll be able to examine which database they’re registered to on the Examine a Chip web site.

For extra details about cat microchipping, please go to PDSA’s web site.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here